Broken Records and Their Broken Lies

Today's post comes to us from a friend of mine. It is a (tough) love letter. It was written by a friend of mine, N.T. Andrew. -Biko


You say,
Then you do,
There I see the lies.

I am listening to all that you have to say. Nodding my head up and down to reflect my intent pontification of your web of reasoning. I’m listening. I keep listening. I think I’ve heard everything you have to say.

Your message brings about a few questions in my mind. Starting with, why should I trust you exactly? Why should I let the monologue you’ve practiced to yourself hold any weight for me? For all I know, you’ve practiced your own lies in the mirror of self far longer than the minutes you’ve spent trying to convince me. I can only assume you believe what you are saying. You do, don’t you? Wait, do you even believe the lies you tell yourself to sleep at night: lies of your benevolence and the goodness of only those things which you believe and are associated with? Have you convinced yourself that there is nothing more than your current reality, nothing better than your state of being, nothing you actually can do? Do you think this is the only option: without the shadow of a doubt in your mind? If so, when did you start believing that? Tell me, when did you start believing in your own lies?

Are you still reading? If you’ve read to this point, I can only imagine your feelings. I can can’t remotely feel your frustration at someone who would dare to question your foundation. I must be so far removed from your emotions inside my cocoon of self-aggrandization.

Self-aggrandization?

I simply ask questions. Even my assumptions are questioned enough for you to dispel them. I keep waiting for you to dispel them but your answers produce a slew of additional questions which you can’t seem to answer. I wonder if this is getting through or if it is doing any good? We seem to be from two corners of the exact same room. In this corner we have the passivist who has accepted all of the lies of someone or something higher up enough to evangelize. On the other side, we have an arrogant and naive child who seems to ask a lot of questions.

Let me ask you another question: if I have not already asked so many. Why should I not be irate at the lies you choose to accept? You seem to be sustained by the bread of lies fed to you. Forgive me, I do not wish to dine in your home and share the plate on your table.

It’s absurd isn’t it: my decline for an open invitation? Does it not boggle your mind that even seeing I do not believe the things that you believe? How dare I not take your words at face value? What a preposterous notion that I would find a reason to push back at everything you say. Would it not be so much easier for me to not be a contrarian? Would it not be better for me to stop arguing and to just accept reality: to relent in silence as I accept your reasoning like my own. It would be easier would it not. So much easier my love.  

Why should I?

Truth be told, I see no clarity in your truth. I see nothing more than a soul who has shielded themselves from the weathering of multiplicity and middle grounds. I stare at covered eyes blinded through the involuntary covering of a hands subconsciously controlled by a mind choosing to believe in a single lie. I do not believe in you anymore than I believe in my own benevolence and wisdom.

Is anyone really ever a single truth? At any point in time, can anyone ever truly just be one character and a single concept? In this life and the next, can a soul perpetually just be within a single dimension?

Are you listening? Do you even understand anything I just said to you? Why are you not listening? Have you read this essay or has your mind began to build a commentary of everything I briefly mentioned? Have you actually read all the words or have you just gone ahead and assumed my intent? Have you been wondering who this might have been directed at, which institution I was thinking about as my fingers glided across the keyboard with each stroke? Maybe it wasn’t something. Maybe it was someone. Perhaps it was myself: the indoctrinated unconscious mind fighting to push back on the enlightened side.  I will let you decide for yourself why I sat at a Starbucks to type out this love letter. Do not mistake my intent, I aim to write a love letter. I would not take the time to write this whole monologue if I did not care about you. I care about you. I care about you a lot. This is why I am hoping you would listen.

But I’m guessing that you’re still talking to yourself instead of reading. Why do you choose to keep talking? Why do you choose to keep acting like you know everything when you truly don’t? Is it hard to admit the truth of some of my words? Is it hard to feel the uncomfortable anxiety and the head pounding pondering jumping out of the page? Why is it hard to feel those things: your fatigue and overwhelming anxiety? Why is it even harder to openly admit these things? Why won’t you allow me to believe in the truth of your words by finally showing me the broken pieces and your unknown? “I don’t know” is a very liberating path to a life of searching.

It hurts so much to watch you believe the fabrication of your own lies.

I feel as though I’ve said too much.

I think I should just ask you this last thing.  Actually, I will stop asking. I want you to ask yourself: What do I want? What do I truly want? Where do I want to go? Where do I want to be? What do I hope to get from this life and to receive? What is it that I care about? What would I like? Why am I here? I mean here here: the context of the current season, institution, career, partnership, relationship, political climate, and this place?

If you don’t know the answer, maybe you should keep asking yourself some more questions. Let the words of your own questioning shake the foundation of your soul. Find a way to make sense of the earthquakes which leaves you in the destruction of self-reflection and realization. Choose to accept destruction as rebirth. Believe in the infinite rising of a soul who is willing to keep questioning it all. Answers are cheap; good questions are the work of GOD, whatever you conceive Him to be (as Max Ehrmann put it).

Comments